9 Tips to Keep Your Pool Clean This Summer
Many of us use our pools daily at this time of year, which means maintenance becomes a more pressing concern. As you continue to enjoy your backyard oasis this summer, follow these pool maintenance tips to keep it clean.
- Check the pool chemistry. Once or twice per week, check to be sure your water’s pH stays between 7.2 and 7.8. Keeping it on the lower end of that spectrum will mean you need less chlorine.
- Maintain the water level. If water is too low, your pump will run dry and potentially burn up. If it’s too high, the skimmer door won’t work properly.
- Clean the skimmer basket. Clean it weekly, and you’ll see less debris in your pool.
- Clean the lint pot. About every other week, turn off the pump and release the pressure on the system. Then clean out the lint pot as needed.
- Clean pool filters. These should be checked and cleaned every few months, so perform this step at least once this summer. Soak dirty filters in muriatic acid or a solution of trisodium phosphate, then rinse clean.
- Check your chlorinator. Make sure chlorine tablets are loaded properly and nothing is clogged.
- Check your Ozonator. If you use an Ozonator, look to be sure the light is on. As long as it’s working properly, your Ozonator can reduce the amount of chlorine your pool needs.
- Maintain your chlorine generator. If you have one, a chlorine generator produces chlorine so that you never need to buy, store, or handle it. But you will need to clean the generator cell and maintain your pool’s pH even more closely.
- Observe your pool and water for clarity, debris, odor, and damage to the pool itself. If you see (or smell) anything that concerns you, make the necessary adjustments or call a professional for assistance.
And remember, if you aren’t so keen on performing all of these steps on a regular basis, the simplest solution is to hire someone to do it for you! Give us a call, and we’ll help you enjoy a carefree summer, without all the hassle of pool maintenance.